Alberta Rose Regional School
Fire and Egress Door Assembly Inspections - (DAI600)
April 4 - 7, 2022
Holiday Inn Edmonton South, 950 Parsons Road SW, Edmonton, AB T6X 0J4
Fee: Members - $2,800 (plus HST) | Non-Members - $3,200 (plus HST)
Head Instructor: Don Lopatka, AHC/CFDAI
Recommended Prior Courses:
- COR101 – Fundamentals of Architectural Doors and Hardware
- COR102 – Introduction to Building Codes
- COR117 – Door, Frame and Architectural Hardware Applications
- COR140 – Using Codes and Standards
The DAI600 curriculum is focused on understanding the role and responsibilities of the fire and egress door inspectors as
well as interacting with the building owner and the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). It is paramount to ensure that
the respective parties clearly understand the inspection process and documentation and how to follow through with the
necessary corrections to improve safety in their facilities.
This class will teach you how to perform and record these inspections, as well as provide tips for interacting with building
owners and AHJs. It requires an intermediate level of understanding of door, frame, and hardware products and applications,
and applicable code familiarity to conduct inspections.
Students of this course are recommended to complete the specific DHI courses mentioned above, or have comparable
knowledge or experience. The first critical course, COR117- Door, Frame, and Architectural Hardware Applications, is focused
on products and their applications. If you have not taken this course but have significant experience in non-residential
doors, frames, and hardware, a complimentary knowledge assessment exam is available to evaluate your readiness for
the DAI 600 class. Because the DAI600 course is based heavily on understanding codes, which are updated every three
years, we strongly suggest that the second course, COR140 – Using Codes and Standards, be taken prior to DAI600, and
if not taken within the past three years, the DHI CEP code update classes may also be taken.
You will review material from the follow intermediate level courses:
- Perform visual inspections and conduct operational testing of swinging fire doors
- Authorize inspection reports for building owners and AHJ requirements
- Recommend corrective actions necessary in compliance with inspection requirements
- Interface with building owners and AHJs on inspection requirements and issues
- Understand NFPA 101 inspections, occupancy types, means of egress, special locking arrangements, capacity calculations,
hazard contents, and perform egress inspections
- Provide Performance-Based option explanation and guidance
- Research manufacturers’ labels and listings
- Provide instruction for the care and maintenance of components along with approved field modifications when necessary
COVID-19 - The DHI Canada Technical School will abide by all protocols and restrictions in place at the time of the school. These details will be confirmed with students as they become available.
Students will receive the Guide to Annual Inspections of Swinging Fire Doors and Field Reference Digest for Inspecting Swinging Fire Doors, sample inspection reports, door gap gauge, and inspection magnet and mirror.
Student to provide the following additional reference materials:
- STUDENTS MUST BRING A LAPTOP
- NFPA80, Standards for Fire Doors and Other Opening Protectives (2013 edition)
- NFPA101, Life Safety Code (2012 edition)
- NFPA105 Standard for Smoke Door Assemblies and Other Opening Protectives (2013 edition)
- ICC/ANSI A117.1, Accessible and Usable Building and Facilities (2009 edition)
- Classes run daily Monday to Thursday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
- After completing the DAI600 course, students will take the CFDAI certification
computerized exam at the school on Thursday, April 7, 2022. Upon successful
completion of the DAI600 exam, students will receive the certification Certified
Fire + Egress Door Assembly Inspector.
Registration Fee Policies
- Member fee applies to all DHI individual members or any employee of a corporate
- Registration fee includes tuition, course material, continental breakfast, lunch
- A $200 administration fee will be applied to cancellations received until March
25, 2022; no refunds after this date. Substitutions are permitted at any time.
Multiple Registration Discount
- Companies that register five or more employees are entitled to a reduced registration fee based on the number of students enrolled. Contact DHI Canada for more information – 416-492-6502 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- This class might be cancelled if there are fewer than 5 students registered.
- Every effort will be made to accommodate all student registrations.
A block of rooms is available for the DHI Canada group at the discounted rate of $109.00 (Sgl/Dbl) which will be available to book up to 5:00 p.m. on March 4, 2022, after which the discount will be accepted on a space availability basis. Delegates must identify themselves as being with DHI Canada in order to qualify for your group rate. For reservations call 780-784-8500.
To register, you can use our secure online server or simply download our printable Registration Form (PDF), and mail or fax your completed Registration to the address indicated on the form.